Top 10 Audition Tips
January 3rd, 2019
For those with a dream to go to Drama School auditions can be incredibly daunting, but they don’t have to be. FDS Schools try to make our auditions as enjoyable as possible. We do not expect you to be an accomplished performer but for potential. The audition process enables us to make informed choices about candidates and their ability to undertake the rigorous training we offer. Here are our simple audition tips:
- Stay positive - Learn to develop a positive attitude and do not be afraid of being appropriately playful, spontaneous or in the moment.
- Do not compare yourself to others – You are unique so rather learn from others and be supportive. A drama school panel is looking for both these skill sets and a good temperament.
- Be yourself - Do not be afraid to be yourself with the panel. Respect them but also remember they are people too and they are not there to scare you.
- First impressions matter - Behave appropriately, dress appropriately and in the studio turn off your phone. . Good manners go a long way.
- Do your research - Understand what the course involves and ask plenty of questions because it is important that you choose the right place for you.
- Let mistakes go and focus on what is coming next - If something goes wrong, the world will not end and the show must go on!
- Treat the audition as a learning process - Be willing to take risks, make mistakes and really make the most of it.
- Try not to over-think - if the panel tells you to walk around the space, walk around the space. Don’t read into anything.
- Enjoy the day - Focus, have fun, relax and respect the people around you.
- Lastly, remember that you are auditioning us as much as the audition panel are auditioning you. Take a look around and ask yourself if you’ll be happy here, that feeling can take you a long way.